International Association of Hydrogeologists and the United States National Chapter
The International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) is an international scientific and educational organization that aims to promote research and understanding of the proper management and protection of groundwater for the common good throughout the world. IAH provides a valuable forum for scientists and engineers working in the fields of hydrogeology and groundwater resource planning, management, and protection who have a broad interest in and an international perspective on groundwater resources and hydrogeological issues. IAH is incorporated as a charitable organization in the United Kingdom; the main office of IAH is located in London. IAH is also affiliated with the International Union of Geological Sciences.
IAH’s membership includes about 4,000 members representing 135 countries. IAH has 43 country chapters, including the United States National Chapter (USNC).
To Accomplish Its Goals, IAH:
- Publishes a major-cited international, growing journal (Hydrogeology Journal) eight times a year; subscriptions are included with membership.
- Publishes a book series and a bimonthly global newsletter. The USNC also provides a Chapter newsletter to IAH members located in the U.S.
- Promotes international cooperation among hydrogeologists and others with an interest in groundwater.
- Encourages worldwide application of hydrogeological skills through education and technology transfer programs. IAH has created Commissions and Working Groups on special interest topics, including: Hydrogeological Maps; Hardrock Hydrology; Managed Artificial Recharge; Groundwater Protection; Groundwater in Urban Areas; Transboundary Aquifers; Groundwater Vulnerability Mapping; Early Detection of Groundwater Quality Problems; and Education and Training.
- Sponsors international meetings, including an annual Congress.
- Cooperates with numerous national and international scientific organizations that have an interest in groundwater.
For additional information about the USNC, please contact Tim Parker, USNC Chair, at email@example.com.